Maintain the great occasions flowing, minus the dreaded hangover.
Transfer over (for now), pumpkin spice treats, as a result of it’s time for apple spice baked items to have their time within the highlight. As followers of cinnamon-sugar baked apple donuts and peanut butter and caramel baked apples, we now have an identical recipe to strive: vegan apple spice cake with caramel cream cheese frosting. Yup, baking simply acquired that scrumptious.
Earlier than sprinting to the kitchen, we wish to give a shout-out and big thanks to Britt Berlin, the vegan baker and cookbook creator behind this recipe and @the_bananadiaries on Instagram. Her Insta web page is stuffed with all types of cozy breakfast and dessert recipes we wish to make pronto, however for starters: meet probably the most scrumptious vegan apple spice cake of the season.
View this publish on Instagram
Why this vegan apple spice cake recipe is price making instantly
If the above image of the cake wasn’t sufficient, we’ve acquired loads of different causes. For starters, on the recipe web page, Berlin describes this cake as not solely “fluffy,” “moist,” and “gentle,” but in addition “the definition of simple.” Aka, it checks all of the bins! She factors out the way you don’t must peel the apples such as you would with an apple crisp; slightly, you may simply throw them in a meals processor or high-speed blender so the cake is stuffed with small items of apple crunch. Additionally, you solely want one bowl to make this spice cake, which makes cleanup so a lot simpler.
However again to the cake itself. Whereas apples and spices are sometimes related to colder months, this deal with may be loved any time of the yr (obv). Whether or not you simply love these flavors or need the hygge vibes of the autumn and winter season all year-round, this cake has you lined. And whereas we’re actually not going to argue that’s it’s nice within the nutrient division, we love giving our vegan pals an excuse to eat cake (with faux-cream cheese frosting) for breakfast, too.
Additional, this deal with pairs properly with a cup of espresso or one other heat drink, whether or not that’s glowing espresso, a favourite at Starbucks, or a ginger-infused beverage. You’ll be able to even add spices to your common espresso for further goodness!
Vegan apple spice cake recipe
- 1 cup vegan buttermilk
- 3 2/3 cups (or 450 grams) all-purpose flour (or 512 grams gluten free 1:1 baking flour + 1 tbsp arrowroot or cornstarch)
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp apple pie spice
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup (200 g) granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup (150 g) gentle brown sugar
- 1/2 cup salted vegan butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
- 1/2 cup avocado oil or cooking oil
- 1/2 cup dairy-free yogurt, room temperature
- 2 honeycrisp apples, cored and blended
- 1 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 batch vegan cream cheese frosting
- 1 batch vegan salted caramel
- Learn all of the directions (and the ideas beneath) earlier than getting began.
- Preheat the oven to 350 levels Fahrenheit.
- Grease a 9×13” sheet cake pan with oil, then line the underside with parchment paper for simple removing.
- Add apple cider vinegar to unsweetened, dairy-free milk to make the vegan buttermilk. Set it apart.
- Wash and dry the apples, then slice them into massive chunks.
- Place the apples in a meals processor or high-speed blender, and mix till they’re utterly grated. Put aside.
- To make the batter, seize a big bowl and whisk collectively the sugar, gentle brown sugar, vegan butter, oil, dairy-free yogurt, and vanilla extract.
- In that very same bowl, add within the chopped apples, baking powder, baking soda, apple pie spices, and sea salt. Whisk them collectively.
- Then, add the flour and vegan buttermilk to the combination and whisk simply till the dry components are integrated with the moist components.
- Pour the batter into the cake pan and place it within the oven. Let the batter bake for 50 to 55 minutes. You’ll be able to check whether or not it’s executed by placing a toothpick within the cake (if it comes out clear, you’re good to go).
- Let the cake cool within the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer it to a drying rack to chill earlier than frosting it.
- Whereas the cake is baking, you can also make the salted caramel. She shares the way to make it from scratch. Keep in mind to let it cool at room temperature earlier than placing it on the frosting.
- Whenever you’re able to frost the cake, add the vegan butter and vegan cream cheese to a stand mixer or massive bowl, then stir it up with a hand mixer. Add in 1 cup of powdered sugar at a time, beating the combination till the frosting is fluffy.
- Scoop the frosting onto the cake and unfold it to the sides. Drizzle the salted caramel on high.
- Slice and serve! Leftovers may be saved in an hermetic container for as much as 4 days within the fridge.
Further baking suggestions and notes
- For gluten-free flour, use the gram measurements as an alternative of the cup measurements.
- Oat flour may also work!
- *For the “apple pie spices,” Berlin makes use of cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, and nutmeg, however says cinnamon alone may also work. If you wish to do the mix however don’t have it pre-made, she recommends mixing 2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp nutmeg, 1/4 tsp floor ginger, 1/4 tsp cardamom, and 1/4 tsp allspice.
- If you wish to make this as a layered cake, cut back the recipe to 2/3 of what it’s.
- You may make this cake over a number of sittings if in case you have the time and really feel much less careworn that method!